Sleep Disorders Treatment
Sleep is vital for your physical, emotional and cognitive well-being. Most adults should strive to get 7-8 hours of quality sleep each night to maintain their health. There are many people who struggle with sleep disorders, which can involve sleeping too little, too much or at irregular times. It can also involve poor quality sleep. At Primary Care Joliet in Wilmington and Joliet, IL, we offer sleep disorders treatment to help our patients get the right amount of quality sleep to achieve their best health.
Types of Sleep Disorders
Humans have a 24-hour internal clock that regulates when to wake up and when to sleep. These are called circadian rhythms that are physically and mentally based. The normal sleep-wake cycles are based on the light and the dark. Exposure to light during the day helps the body produce melatonin, which helps the body become sleepy when it turns dark. Interruption of this cycle from lifestyle, medications, diseases or mental disorders can result in a sleep disorder, as well as factors that interrupt quality sleep.
There are different types of sleep disorders that can affect your circadian rhythms, health and well-being. Some of these include:
- Insomnia – the inability to fall asleep or stay asleep. This can be temporary, intermittent or chronic
- Sleep apnea – interruption of breathing during sleep, impacting the quality of sleep
- Sleep-wake syndrome – this sleep disorder results in short periods of period (less than four hours) spread through the 24-hour cycle
- Somnambulism – also known as sleep walking, people may walk or do other activities in their sleep
- Restless leg syndrome – the need to move the legs to relieve a sensation that is usually felt during sleep
Sleep disorders can affect your physical, mental and emotional health. Many sleep problems can become worse as you get older due to other complications like medications, diseases and pain disorders. Sleep disorders can be treated with a combination of therapies, which may include medications, light therapy, mental health therapy and other treatments.
If you have trouble getting quality sleep, come see our medical team at Primary Care Joliet. We can evaluate your sleep disorder and recommend a treatment plan to give you relief. Call our medical center in Joliet or Wilmington, IL to schedule an appointment.